Monday, September 29, 2008

Best recovery tool for Linux is on Windows

hamasaki@Ayumi:~$ sudo reiserfsck --check /dev/sdd
reiserfsck 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

************************************************** ***********
** If you are using the latest reiserfsprogs and it fails **
** please email bug reports to reiserfs-list@namesys.com, **
** providing as much information as possible -- your **
** hardware, kernel, patches, settings, all reiserfsck **
** messages (including version), the reiserfsck logfile, **
** check the syslog file for any related information. **
** If you would like advice on using this program, support **
** is available for $25 at www.namesys.com/support.html. **
************************************************** ***********

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sdd
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
###########
reiserfsck --check started at Sun Sep 28 22:12:00 2008
###########
Replaying journal..
No transactions found
Checking internal tree..

Bad root block 0. (--rebuild-tree did not complete)

Aborted (core dumped)


WTF does that mean? Well for one it means I can no longer access about 80 gb of data, HANS REISER just murdered my data!!! LOL.... hmmm well back to my data, is it gone now?

Tried to mount the drive... dmesg output when I tried to mount the drive

[12159.408846] ReiserFS: sdd: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
[12159.408901] ReiserFS: sdd: using ordered data mode
[12159.414282] ReiserFS: sdd: journal params: device sdd, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
[12159.415307] ReiserFS: sdd: checking transaction log (sdd)
[12159.998070] ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node level 47354 does not match to the expected one -1
[12159.998089] ReiserFS: sdd: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 0. Fsck?
[12159.998100] ReiserFS: sdd: warning: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [1 2 0x0 SD]
[12159.998117] ReiserFS: sdd: Using r5 hash to sort names
[12159.998136] ReiserFS: sdd: warning: xattrs/ACLs enabled and couldn't find/create .reiserfs_priv. Failing mount.
[12202.777292] ReiserFS: sdd: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
[12202.779625] ReiserFS: sdd: using ordered data mode
[12202.785827] ReiserFS: sdd: journal params: device sdd, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
[12202.791682] ReiserFS: sdd: checking transaction log (sdd)
[12203.382859] ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node level 47354 does not match to the expected one -1
[12203.382883] ReiserFS: sdd: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in block 0. Fsck?
[12203.382895] ReiserFS: sdd: warning: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [1 2 0x0 SD]
[12203.382919] ReiserFS: sdd: Using r5 hash to sort names
[12203.392484] ReiserFS: sdd: warning: xattrs/ACLs enabled and couldn't find/create .reiserfs_priv. Failing mount.


It's amazing, the best tool for recovering reiserfs is made for windows!


http://www.ufsexplorer.com/

UFS Explorer just saved me, I was able to make an image of the failed drive, on my other pc with windows xp, I installed UFS Explorer. Then opened the image file that was shared on ubuntu over the network.

UFS Explorer scanned for the superblock and displayed all the folders I needed with the filenames intact and everything on that drive.I was then able to right click on each of them and copy it to a spare drive on the windows pc. It was so easy I now regret wasting so much time on those command line tools where you have to read several man pages just to get started.

I even asked for help on ubuntuforums, no luck. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=932922

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

4 comments:

chaser8 said...

sir how come my username/account from your site "http://sitegeisha.servebbs.org/" doesn't exist? :( i already registered last april..

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how involved with technology our daily lives have become. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets less expensive, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.leetboss.com/video-games/r4i-r4-sdhc-nintendo-ds]R4i SDHC[/url] DS FFOpera)

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how modern society has evolved to become so integrated with technology. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes cheaper, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]R4[/url] DS Qezv2)

Anonymous said...

I know this web page gives quality depending posts and additional data, is there any other web site which
provides these kinds of data in quality?

Feel free to surf to my web-site - longenbarger